Deandre Ayton Strengths & Weaknesses: College Basketball's Wilt Chamberlain
January 28, 2018 12:15am
- Confident pull up jumper with range going out to the 3 point line
- Huge... Only 19 years old & is a man among boys. Stands 7’1 and weighs a sculpted 260 pounds
- Wilt Chamberlain like build
- Incredible athleticism REPORTED TO HAVE A 44 IN VERTICAL AT 7’1 260 POUNDS!
7 footer, 260 lbs, 43.5 inch vert
- Great agility, footwork, and strength in the post, has good feel going right and left, spin moves, up & unders, face-up, bullying under the rim, the potential he has as an offensive skill player is tremendous
- Good touch around the rim, strong & explosive while finishing smoothly
- Swallows every rebound in sight
- Plays with tenacity... toughness that you would expect from a player his size
- Good at running the floor
- Seems like a 10 foot rim is too short for him, dunks in traffic with ease.
- Dominant player who must be accounted for at all times
- Size/length to be a force in the paint defensively, his presence alone is an issue
- Smart & willing passer when faced with help defense/double teams
- Does not shy away in clutch moments
- Splitting hairs to find any real weakness in his game
- Can rely on jumper too much at times
- The way he is built physically you would expect him to be the most dominant force on defense. He has been good so far, yet to show a dominating defensive performance (I feel we will see it sooner than later)
Bottom Line/NBA Perspective:
Generational talent, his presence is always felt on the court. Ayton is the prototypical NBA Center, agile enough to switch and defend on pick & rolls, athleticism to bang down low and run the floor like a wing, confident shooting touch going all the way out to the 3 point line, exceptional finishing around the rim through traffic, rebounding is second nature, and is always an option in the post due to his variety of ways to score. Some NBA team will be lucky to have Ayton as the face of their franchise.
NBA Comparison: David Robinson
HARPREET SINGH OCEAN